Monday, January 26, 2009

Who is Rassilon and what is the Matrix?



Just where did the name Rassilon come from? At the age of 13 I took the name from a fictional character on the BBC television series "Doctor Who". At the time I was making my first forays into online Bulletin Board Systems (BBS). I soon started one myself with the help of my father (aka Mr. Bubble) called "The T.A.R.D.I.S." BBS using the name of the time travel device used in the series. I figured it would be an appropriate name for a SYSOP (System Operator) of a BBS. As a continued fan of the show, I have since kept the name as my online handle or nick.

The BBC series follows a lone time traveller known as a "Time Lord" from the planet Gallifrey who travels time and space helping humanity. Lord Rassilon (image right) was the creator of time travel, the original Time Lord and the founder of Gallifreyan goverment and society as it's known in the series universe. The design used for this blog and my avatar online (image left) is the Seal of Rassilon which was held in high regard as a symbol of power within Gallifreyan society. The term Matrix or the Matrix comes from a computer network on Gallifrey also known as the APC net (Amplified Panatropic Computer Network). The terms APC Net and Matrix are often used interchangeably. The APC Net served as a supercomputer used by the Time Lords, specifically the High Council who used the Matrix both as a storehouse of knowledge and to help predict future events. Rassilon entered into the Matrix after his "death". (Doctor Who Wiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment